Friday, November 18, 2005

if i die.

I don't know what you think about death. I don't know what you make of death. But only a mindless imbecile has not thought about it, especially that of his own. And only deeply religious people and liars claim that they're not afraid of dying.

I'm no longer as scared as before about the notion of dying, but I'm just like everyone else in the sense that I'm afraid to have not lived fully, to have not experienced what the world has to offer, I don't want to lie on my deathbed fretting about the things I could have done, things I should have done. And that's only if I'm allowed the malicious gift of hindsight. I could die any minute: car accident from jay-walking, choked to death on a fishball, a burst spleen from over-eating, whatever.

The aim therefore, is to banish any possible or lingering regrets that might be arise from unaccomplished matters. So I have a rough checklist of "Things I want to do before my life comes to a sorry end", which ranges from the dreadfully mundane to impossible floaty air-castles. Part of it includes the following:

  • Publishing a paper.
  • Buying my own Steinway grand piano.
  • Watch the entire Ring Cycle of Wagner without stopping.
  • Travelling to Europe to pay respect to Bach/Beethoven/Mozart/Debussy's graves. (And steal part of the grave stone)
  • Learn the entire set of Debussy's piano preludes. And learn it well.
  • Make tamago sushi.
  • Try to sleep at night without covering my eyes with a towel.
  • I've loads more actually, but I'm a tad embarrassed about writing them down here. It more or less amounts to a fair bit of my ambition too. If you don't succeed and you're not half-dead from your own disappointment, widespread humiliation in the form of public knowledge that you have failed, will surely do the trick. Uhhh, and yes, if you haven't noticed, I'm sinfully proud and quite a perfectionist. But that second bit comes along with the whole 'musician' bit. It's just a characteristic trait that most musicians have. If I'm not wrong, quite a number of them suffer from OCD too. But I'm veering off-track once more.

    By now, most of us would have come in some form of contact with Death, the shadowy grim reaper with large white wings. I'm very fortunate that my first personal experience occurred pretty late in my life. That was my dog, Lucky, in JC2. That, and other close encounters involving my family members later in life, made me realize that Death is not something that is remote, inanimate, or static - it is the people who are left behind who are living the ripples of the death throes. Until time recasts your memories and cripples your pain, Death is a way of Life. It took me this long to learn something so explicitly simple, I can be such a stubborn air-head at times.

    I try not to forget that Death and Misfortune are always lurking lavisciously behind my shoulder, and not to take anything that I have for granted. But the drudgery of daily life and blind routine have a way of juxtaposing themselves on top of one another in mad layers, and everything else in your mind sinks to the bottom, taking on a faint chiaroscuro tinge against a white background. However, Music always reminds me of my fragility, and I'm oppressively conscious of the delicate veins that pulse gently beneath my transculent skin. Most of the composers whose music I listen to are lying six feet under the ground, but their music lives on till today, and they are rebirthed in us, and recreated in our modern context. I too, want to leave a legacy behind after my death: be it in the form of music, documents or in friends' memories, I want to be remembered. Ah, the Ego knows no bounds.

    Although all these makes me keenly aware of my own mortality, it only serves to reaffirm vividly that I am living now at this time and place, and this apparent dialectic struggle between the two, are really complementary to each other. It's up to all of us, to make the most of what we have, while we're still living on the borrowed time of Youth, aye?

    I've been very chatty tonight, it's probably due to the sugar-high from Sainsbury's Quadruple Chocolate Chip Cookies. (Scoffed the whole box in one sitting, it's winter - I have an excuse!) Before I embark on my rousing peroration, if I do die, please have these songs played at my funeral:

  • Corelli's Trio Sonatas Op.3
  • Bach's Keyboard Partitas #1, #2, #6
  • Bach's St John's Passion and Brandenburg Concertos
  • Mozart's "Haydn Quartets"
  • Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto
  • Schubert's Die Schone Mullerin/Winterriese
  • Schumann's Piano Sonata #1, #2, Fraudenliebe and Dichterliebe
  • Tchaikovsky's Symphony #5
  • Brahms's 1-4 Symphonies
  • Mahler's Symphony #5
  • Verdi's La Traviata
  • Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande, Preludes, Images, Jeux, Harmonie du Soir
  • Britten's Peter Grimes
  • Berg's Wozzeck/Lulu
  • I wanted to add more songs but I figured the funeral would have ended long before the Mozart quartets. But you guys would stay till that long at least? It'd be my last-ditch attempt to convert people to the Classical Music camp. In any case, everyone is to come to my funeral armed with a bar of chocolate for me to eat in the afterlife. But please, no caramel. Or I'd haunt you. Same goes if you don't attend or turn up without a chocolate bar.

    You have been warned! =)

    she procrastinated @ 04:41 |

    blueprint

    I will like to spend my days, as though they are my own, which I mostly end up doing in halves, for duty beckons, and I am answering its clarion call. Soon enough! I am also a veteran procrastinator.

    fresh monodies

    beethoven makes the world go round!
    i really should be doing my 3 schenker graphs for ...
    a quickie because i feel like it.
    it's all been done.
    headache.
    and it all fuses together.
    panicking.
    it's always MY fault, innit?
    it's been long in coming.
    do you make your own fortune?

    previous rants

    August 2004
    September 2004
    October 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    March 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005
    December 2005
    January 2006
    February 2006
    March 2006
    April 2006
    May 2006
    June 2006
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    August 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    November 2010
    January 2011
    February 2011
    August 2011
    October 2011
    May 2013

    treatises on life

    arty jen
    betty boop
    carmentica
    charming-linn
    chasing snowy cars
    cheeky lynn
    cheryliciously glam
    clean and cute
    cyclist-mad bass
    darling dominic
    feisty jing
    fellow ditz-sista/porkSTAR
    hail mary!
    hell's kitchen
    hero on the beach
    h-Euge heart
    hunky lenny
    lipgloss queen
    little cheryl
    live n learn, baby
    lolita lou
    loony loon
    mr popular
    musically dan
    m y s t j
    phringe
    princess tania
    roger smurf
    runaway pigeon
    sabotage king jeremiah
    sibling angst1
    sibling angst2
    spector dan
    spunky tian
    steffy bunny
    sun-sunzzz
    teeny wee-nee
    weeeee, leonard!
    yangtze yang'en

    frivolous pursuits

    for shallow ppl
    for very geeky ppl
    for the truly bored
    spun prose
    binary thoughts
    past imprints
    some stamps
    montage of images
    other memories

    mulling over

    "One is wicked, because one see things clearly." - Beaumarchais's Le nozze di Figaro.

    And there were phlegmatic souls.