Tuesday, April 04, 2006

reading list for easter, and delightfully cryptic matters.

In order of preference:

  • Henry James - The Turn Of The Screw

  • Nietzsche - Why I Am So Wise

  • Thomas Mann - Doctor Faustus : The Life of the German Composer Adrian Leverkuhn As Told by a Friend

  • Jack Kerouac - On the Road

  • Jorge Luis Borges - Fictions

  • Margeret Atwood - The Robber Bride
  • You won't believe how hard it is to obtain Doctor Faustus, I've been everywhere searching for this elusive book, and it's nowhere to be found. Damn, I hate playing hide-and-seek. I suppose I can always order it online, but I don't like doing that, I'm old-fashioned in that way - I prefer to buy it from a bookstore. There's nothing like the thrill of walking into Foyles/Borders, breathing in the smell that only new books can have, and leaving with a Cheshire grin, armed with more books than I can carry, and many pounds poorer.

    And I'm waiting impatiently for Murakami's novel Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman which is due in August. And God knows when the next installment of Harry Potter will be out. Oh, so many books to read, and so little time! And you'd think I'd spend my time more wisely, where I believe I have to churn out 5000words per week just to keep up with my coursework.

    The days are getting longer and warmer, the long-awaited sunshine is confusing my senses, with a cool breeze that hints at the subdued promise of fliched strawberries and pink cheesecakes and purple chocolate and all things tender and sweet. Languorous days lie ahead in wait, or maybe they are already upon me, so deceptive they are, like the calm before the storm, like the red sky in the morning that the sailors so fear, for anything that is good and kind eventually comes to an end. But that's the cynic pessimist in me talking, who never dares to believe, who fears the undeserved and unwarranted, and must savagely embrace the foreshadowing of the looming threats, which must rest upon your shoulder in time to come, in a bid to cling on to the person who you think you are.

    I apologize for the gloomy turn of my recent posts, and the very long and unwieldy sentences, but all things haven't exactly been bright and beautiful lately, and I can only tell myself lies up to a certain point. The problem with lying to yourself, is that you know that they are untrue. I'd rather have other people fabricate falsehoods to me, and lie so brilliantly well, that I'd never be able to find out. Sometimes, the truth isn't worth the finding out, you know?

    But that's fine, part of the learning curve, part of growing up, part of life, which is of very little comfort to be honest, but you stop quibbling about such meagre details when you know it's all of your own making, with no vestiges to lean upon, and nothing left to hold onto.

    she procrastinated @ 20:05 |

    blueprint

    I will like to spend my days, as though they are my own, which I mostly end up doing in halves, for duty beckons, and I am answering its clarion call. Soon enough! I am also a veteran procrastinator.

    fresh monodies

    happy april's fool, and now the joke is on me.
    procrastinating! presentation tmr! nothing done!
    perturbed.
    Turning point, my turning point is here. It's funn...
    it's not my day.
    the hills are alive!! with the sound of music.
    disconsolate.
    i want money to drop down from the sky; window dis...
    it's been 250 years.
    like a black lamb led by the nose around the cheer...

    previous rants

    August 2004
    September 2004
    October 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    March 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005
    December 2005
    January 2006
    February 2006
    March 2006
    April 2006
    May 2006
    June 2006
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    January 2009
    February 2009
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    June 2009
    July 2009
    August 2009
    September 2009
    October 2009
    November 2009
    December 2009
    November 2010
    January 2011
    February 2011
    August 2011
    October 2011
    May 2013

    treatises on life

    arty jen
    betty boop
    carmentica
    charming-linn
    chasing snowy cars
    cheeky lynn
    cheryliciously glam
    clean and cute
    cyclist-mad bass
    darling dominic
    feisty jing
    fellow ditz-sista/porkSTAR
    hail mary!
    hell's kitchen
    hero on the beach
    h-Euge heart
    hunky lenny
    lipgloss queen
    little cheryl
    live n learn, baby
    lolita lou
    loony loon
    mr popular
    musically dan
    m y s t j
    phringe
    princess tania
    roger smurf
    runaway pigeon
    sabotage king jeremiah
    sibling angst1
    sibling angst2
    spector dan
    spunky tian
    steffy bunny
    sun-sunzzz
    teeny wee-nee
    weeeee, leonard!
    yangtze yang'en

    frivolous pursuits

    for shallow ppl
    for very geeky ppl
    for the truly bored
    spun prose
    binary thoughts
    past imprints
    some stamps
    montage of images
    other memories

    mulling over

    "One is wicked, because one see things clearly." - Beaumarchais's Le nozze di Figaro.

    And there were phlegmatic souls.